Below is a list of various online resources that may be of interest to self-help support groups. They include resources for fundraising, becoming a non-profit, local newspapers and other media, sites for free website and forums, and literature on facilitations, among others.
If you are aware of any additional links that should be included, please contact the Clearinghouse.
- Business Balls – businessballs.com Offers hundreds of free articles covering a large variety of subject including: ice breakers, leadership, personality tests, delegating tasks, empathy, decision making, stages of groups, recruiting group members, motivation, self-esteem and more.
- E-zine Articles – ezinearticles.com Opportunity to submit articles which others can download for their use (e.g., the benefits of groups, educating the public about your issues, etc.
- Management Help – managementhelp.org Geared toward business managers but has links to many articles, some of which may be of interest to self-help group (facilitation, strategic planning, problem solving, fundraising, starting a non-profit, communication, leadership, social medial, marketing, and more).
- Self-Help Resource Center http://selfhelp.on.ca (based in Canada) This website offers a variety of downloadable articles of interest to self-help support groups.
- Spanish-language “How to Start a Self-Help Group” – ayudamutua.org Offers resources and help to Spanish-speaking persons wishing to start a support group. Also has information for those seeing a group. For professional, stude3nts and all who wish further information on the subject.
- Wikihow “How to Start a Support Group” – wikihow.com/Start-A-Support-Group with illustrations
WEBSITES / WEB TOOLS – Free or low-cost website forums, chat rooms, calendars, software, technical assistance, blog sites, etc. (With the free websites etc. you may have to include ads or banners on your site but most allow to upgrade to ad-less at a small fee.)
- Angelfire – angelfire.lycos.com – Free, small website and file management tools. larger site for a small fee.
- Board Host – boardhost.com – Allows you to create a free online forum
- Bravenet – bravenet.com – Info on getting a free (or low cost) website or website enhancements
- Free Servers – freeservers.com – Will host your website for free (with ads) or without ads (for a fee)
- ProBoards – proboards.com – Create your own online forum for free
- My Free Forum – forum.myfreeforum.org – Create your own personal space and forum
- Techsoup – techsoup.org – Answers questions about computers, software programs, hardware, etc. Free/low cost software for non-profits.
- The Free Site – thefreesite.com – Information and links to free websites and other goodies.
- Tripod – tripod.lycos.com – Offers five free web pages.
- Vista Print – vistaprint.com – Free websites to non-profits. Low cost brochures, business cards, etc.
- Yahoo – groups.yahoo.com – Opportunity to create your own free online group.
- Word Press – wordpress.org – Lets you create your own website, blog or app for free.
- 50 Megs – 50megs.com – Offers templates to create your website. Will host up to 50 meg websites for free.
NON-PROFIT ASSISTANCE – If you are interested in learning how to become a non-profit, or if you already have your 501(C)3, these links may be helpful to you.
- Center for Non-Profit Corporations – njnonprofits.org (bilingual) Membership organization that has a free downloadable booklet, “Starting a Non-Profit?” and many other resources for non-profit agencies in NJ.
- Internal Revenue Service – irs.gov/charities-non-profits – Downloadable forms for non-profit status.
- About.com – www.nonprofit.about.com – A comprehensive resource with links, foundation information and proposal writing assistance.
- Pro Bono Partnership – probonopartnership.org Legal resource center for non-profit organizations and attorneys. Provides free legal services to eligible non-profits, publications and materials for problem-solving and practical guidance. Also has a hotline where staff attorneys can answer inquiries from non-profit executives and directors who need brief legal advice on questions that can be immediately addressed.
FUNDRAISING – Below are websites that have articles, newsletters and assistance for groups interested in fundraising.
- Fundraising for Small Groups Newsletter – fundraising-newsletters.com – free newsletter with fundraising tips for small non-profit fundraiser.
- Network for Good – networkforgood.org – Online donations site. Also provides affordable services to non-profits in their fundraising efforts.
GRANTS – These links provide information on finding available private and government grants and grant writing tips.
- Council on Foundations – cof.org – Provides links to grant makers’ websites
- Foundation Center – foundationcenter.org – Information on grants for non-profit organizations. Includes locations where grans can be researched.
- Fundsnet Services Online – fundsnetservices.com – Fundraising and grants directory. Has resources for those in need of funding.
- Grant Proposal – grantproposal.com – Provides advice and tips on the aesthetics and technicalities of proposal writing
- Guidestar – guidestar.org – Maintains a database of non-profits to help connect funders with non-profits.
- CCM Grants and Foundation Center – ccm.edu/library/foundationCenter.aspx – Librarians at County College of Morris can assist patrons with materials pertaining to foundation and grants research. In depth assistance is available on an individual basis by appointment only. To set-up an appointment call 973-328-5296. To go to the library, stop at the security office to get parking permit to park near the college library.
- USA Government for Nonprofits – usa.gov/business/nonprofit.shtml – Official information from the U.S. government on available federal grants
- Master Facilitator Journal – masterfacilitator.com – Geared toward professional facilitators but has newsletter and archived articles that may be of interest to self-help group facilitators.
NEWSPAPER / MEDIA – Information on newspaper, radio, magazine and other media sources in New Jersey.
- Google Free Advertising – google.com/grants/details.html – Offers free advertising for non-profit organizations that are incorporated.
- New Jersey Newspapers – usnpl.com/njnews.html – Has information on daily and weekly newspapers, college newspapers, magazines, plus a large variety of other local information.
- Newslink – http://newslink.org/njnews.html – Has link to New Jersey daily, non-daily, business, specialty, college, etc. newspapers, magazines and radio contacts.
- NJ Press Association – njpa.org/njpa/member_newspapers/county_map.html – Lists newspapers statewide that are members of New Jersey Press Association.
- Patch – patch.com/new-jersey – Lists local resources by town (not all town are included—the list is growing fast!). Includes local events, businesses, etc. You can add your own events for free.
ONLINE EVENT CALENDARS – Below is a list of organizations that maintain online event calendars that are open to others to also submit events. For additional sites, you can Google your town and County.
- American Towns – AmericanTowns.com – Offers very local information on what is happening in your town. Persons can sign up for any town to receive weekly emails. Adding any of your group’s events to calendar is easy.
- North Jersey Media Group – northjersey.com – Offers an online event calendar for northern New Jersey.
COUNTY RESOURCE LINKS – These provide a variety of information and helpful links to various services.
- Bergen Resource Net – bergenresourcenet.org – Has a large variety of helpful links to services in Burlington County.
- Burlington Resource Net – burlingtonresourcenet.org – Has a large variety of helpful links to services in Burlington County.
- Essex Resource Net – essexresourcenet.org – Has a large variety of helpful links to services in Essex County.
- Mercer Resource Net – mercerresourcenet.org – Has a large variety of helpful links to services in Mercer County.
- Monmouth Resource Net – monmouthresourcenet.org – Has a large variety of helpful links to services in Monmouth County.
- Morris/Sussex Resource Net – morrissussexresourcenet.org – Has a variety of helpful links to services in Morris and Sussex Counties.
- Ocean Resource Net – oceanresourcenet.org – Has a large variety of helpful links to services in Ocean County.
- Passaic Resource Net – passaicresourcenet.org – Has a large variety of helpful links to services in Passaic County.
- Tri-County Resource Net — tricountyresourcenet.org — Has a large variety of helpful links for Hunterdon, Somerset & Warren Counties.
- Union Resource Net – unionresourcenet.org – Has a large variety of helpful links to services in Union County.
- New Jersey Community Resources – panjcommunityresources.info – Contains links to many NJ statewide resources including libraries, state, county and local government, newspapers, state departments, state organizations, transportation, utilities, weather, and more.
ONLINE COMMUNITIES – Below are online communities which consist of a large variety of forums and chat rooms. Most of these sites also allow you to develop your own free forum or chat.
- Delphi Forums – delphiforums.com – Can develop your own free forum or chat room of join an existing group.
- Inspire – inspire.com – Online community of groups dealing with a large variety of disorders and stressful situations. Larger non-profit support networks can create their own free online community with site approval.
- Meetup – meetup.com – List of face-to-face community groups where members share an interest or hobby. For a fee, can start your own group.